Generate evidence for adoption
How this program works
This program supports small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and real-world testing sites in carrying out implementation projects or clinical trials of innovative health technologies.
- The innovation must satisfy all applicable regulatory requirements for in-human testing or use.
- Projects funded through AICE – Market Access are co-designed by the SME and Testing Site to implement the innovation in a real-world clinical setting and generate evidence that will inform key adoption decision makers.
- Projects are built through partnership between the SME and Testing Site, and this partnership must be established prior to applying for AICE – Market Access.
If you require assistance locating a partner, please contact Alberta Innovates for advisory support.
We will contribute 50% of total eligible project costs up to $300,000 CAD per Project, over a maximum term of 24 months.
What to expect
SMEs who participate in AICE – Market Access can expect the following outcomes:
- Acquire evidence through real-world implementation projects that supports market adoption and diffusion,
- Build connections within the health innovation ecosystem,
- Achieve progression of technology, clinical, business and regulatory readiness.
Testing Sites who participate in AICE – Market Access can expect the following outcomes:
- Build capacity for adopting promising health innovations,
- Improve competitiveness in a rapidly shifting health care environment,
- Build connections within the health innovation ecosystem.
On a provincial scale, AICE – Market Access endeavors to enable new models of care delivery, improve the quality of care, reduce the burden of disease, and accelerate health and wellness innovation.
This program is continually accepting applications. Apply now!
- Intake form
Interested SMEs and Testing Sites are encouraged to submit an intake form (Microsoft WORD)
- Pre-application meeting
A pre-application meeting is held between the SME, Testing Site and Alberta Innovates to ensure all parties are aligned on the objectives and outcomes of the project
Applications are accepted at any time and must be submitted via the online application portal.
Please note that you will need to create an account to access our online application portal. If you have any questions about the application process or concerns about your project’s eligibility, feel free to contact the program manager at any time.
Key Documents and forms
- Program guide
- Intake form (Microsoft WORD)
- Application (please apply online through our application portal)
- Investment agreement
- Application helper (Microsoft WORD)
- Milestone, Reporting and Payment schedule (Microsoft EXCEL)
- Alberta Innovates Technology Development Advisors – provide front-line business coaching and technology development advice to small & medium size enterprises in technology or knowledge-based industries.
- Regional Innovation Networks – entrepreneur-centric, community-based networks with the goal of providing programs and services to accelerate growth of technology and knowledge-based businesses in Alberta jurisdictions.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) – provides evidence standards that enable innovators to determine what level of evidence may be required to facilitate adoption of digital health technologies.
- Alberta SPOR SUPPORT Unit (Methods Support) – provides support in formulating robust project methodology to ensure generation of adequate evidence.
- E-Learning Tool – Health Canada – resource intended to educate stakeholders on premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada.
- Alberta Clinical Research Roadmap – an interactive online navigator outlining the steps to setting up and conducting a clinical health research study within Alberta.
- ARECCI – helps practitioners, agencies and organizations identify and mitigate ethical risks in program evaluations, quality improvement projects, needs assessments, health innovations and knowledge translation.
- Alberta Innovates, Entrepreneurial Investments – Alberta Innovates offers a variety of related high-demand, entrepreneurial investment programs that are of interest to SMEs.