Municipal Community Generation Challenge
Alberta Innovates and the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre are proud to announce the Municipal Community Generation Challenge (the “Challenge”).
The Municipal Climate Change Action Centre (MCCAC) in partnership with Alberta Innovates (AI) is looking for Alberta municipalities to provide sustainable solutions that move municipalities towards low carbon community scale electricity generation via formation of a network/consortium partnership leading to installation of a community generation facility.
The Challenge will see the development of a new renewable electricity generation project(s) which produces a significant community benefit in the form of reduced greenhouse gas emissions, diversification of the local economy and whose data and knowledge can then be transferred to other Municipalities within the Province.
MCCAC is investing up to $7 million and Alberta Innovates is investing up to $3 million for a total possible Challenge total of $10 million in funding for one or multiple projects.
See Program Guide for full challenge details
|Challenge Launch to Municipalities||Mar. 15, 2019|
|Stage I – LOI Applicant Webinar||Apr. 17, 2019|
|Stage I – Municipalities LOI Submission Deadline||May 10, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. MDT|
|Stage I – LOI Screening and Results Notification||Jun. 10, 2019|
|Stage II – Network Formation Webinar: Please register HERE||Jun. 19, 2019|
|Stage II – EOI Applicant Webinar: Please register HERE||Jun. 26, 2019|
|Stage II – EOI Submission Deadline||Aug. 9, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. MDT|
|Stage II – EOI Evaluations and Results Notification||Sep. 9, 2019|
|Stage III – FPP Submission Deadline||Oct. 18, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. MDT|
|Stage III – FPP Results Notification||Dec., 2019|
* Note that AI at its sole discretion reserves the rights to alter or cancel the currently-anticipated timelines.
Challenge Details & Key Documents
- View the MCGC LOI Applicant Webinar PowerPoint
- Watch the full MCGC LOI Applicant Webinar Presentation
- See Program Guide for full challenge details.
- Letter of Interest (LOI) template
- Changes and / or updates will be announced and posted. Please check back periodically.
Municipal Challenge Network Partner Registration
- Are you an Alberta-based Small to Medium Sized Enterprise (SME) or potential network partner who is inerested in working with a Municipality to provide sustainable solutions to low-carbon community-scale electricity generation? If yes, Register for the Municipal Community Generation Network Formation Webinar on June 19’th, read the Municipal Community Generation Challenge Program Guide and complete the Network Partner Registration Form
Ready to apply?
Alberta Innovates (AI) is a provincially funded corporation with a mandate to deliver 21st century solutions for the most compelling challenges facing Albertans. We do this by building on our province’s research and technology development strengths in the core sectors of health, environment, energy, food and fibre, and platforms such as artificial intelligence, nanotechnology and omics.
The Municipal Climate Change Action Centre (MCCAC) provides funding, technical assistance, and education to support Alberta municipalities, schools, and non-profits in addressing climate change by reducing their greenhouse gas emissions. We envision Alberta municipalities demonstrating leadership in energy in their own operations and in the broader community.
The MCCAC is a partnership between the Government of Alberta, the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA), and Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA).
Program Contact Information:
Garth Likes, Director – Alberta Small Business Innovation and Research Initiative (ASBIRI) Entrepreneurial Investments
Marc Baxter, Program Lead – Municipal Climate Change Action Centre (MCCAC)