Renewable and Alternative Energy
The purpose of the Renewable and Alternative Energy program is to ensure Alberta’s future electricity system is safe, reliable, affordable and sustainable.
The program complements the Renewable Electricity Program, being led by the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO), by identifying and evaluating investment opportunities in Renewable and Alternative Energy innovation that can accelerate the Government of Alberta’s (GoA) clean generation goals. This program has three technology pathways:
- Renewable Energy Generation: wind integration and optimization, advanced solar energy (thermal and PV), advanced geothermal energy integration, dedicated biomass generation, and hydrokinetic and run-of-river power generation
- Grid Modernization: energy storage for system optimization, smart grid technologies for enhanced distributed generation, distributed energy resource optimization, and grid flexibility technologies for reliable and sustainable grid operation
- New and Integrated Generation: power generation with CO2 capture for use, industrial waste heat integration, and low emission power generation such as small modular nuclear reactors.
- 50% reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) intensity
- 30% of electricity will be supplied by renewable energies by 2030.
The program goals are:
- support innovation in renewable and low carbon energy technologies for heat and power generation
- pursue emerging clean technology opportunities.
Program Contact Information
Name: Maureen Kolla
Title: Senior Manager, Renewable and Alternative Energy