Graduate Studentship & Postgraduate Fellowships
Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship
Competition currently closed – check back for future opportunities
What is the Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship?
The Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship provides opportunities for individuals enrolled in a thesis-based Master’s or PhD program at an Alberta university to undertake health-related research with a patient-oriented approach.
Value & Term
$30,000 stipend for one year, and training opportunities in patient-oriented research.
What are the objectives of the Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship?
The objectives of the Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship include:
- Supporting and training first year Master’s or PhD graduate students in the principles and practice of POR;
- Providing POR activities to develop capacity through a multi-disciplinary approach for all stakeholders including applicants, thesis supervisors, patients, and community team members;
- Creating opportunities for stakeholder groups to work closely together from conceptualization of research question to dissemination and implementation of results at the practice and community levels;
- Demonstrating the impact of the Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship for the student and the development of their project by providing a Studentship Impact Narrative at the end of the funding year.
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must reside in Alberta and be enrolled in, or accepted to, a graduate program at an Alberta university undertaking health-related research training leading to a thesis-based graduate degree. Applicants may be entering their first year of graduate studies in either September of the competition year or January of the award year.
Important: Please review the Graduate Studentship the Program Guide before applying.
- Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship Program Guide.
- Online application portal
- Application Instructions
- Biographical Sketch form
- Patient-Oriented Research – AbSPORU Operationalized Definition
- Read about the Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship recipients and their projects.
- Results Announcement for October 2017 Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship Competition
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) has developed provincial partnerships across the country to support Patient-Oriented Research (POR) with expertise, resources, and knowledge. The Alberta SPOR Support for People and Patient-Oriented Research and Trials (SUPPORT) Unit is dedicated to increasing the quantity and quality of patient-oriented research in Alberta.
The Alberta SPOR Graduate Studentship is jointly funded by Alberta Innovates and CIHR.
Program Contact Information
Name: Kathy Morrison
Title: Senior Coordinator, Grants Processing