Bridging the scaleup gap
Alberta has a scaleup gap. While half of all start-ups survive over five years, only 0.1 per cent of small firms become mid-sized, and only two per cent of mid-sized firms become large. We want to help Alberta’s scaling startups grow so they can positively contribute to our economic growth and prosperity.
With support from our co-funding partners at the Government of Alberta, Prairies Economic Development Canada, and Edmonton Unlimited we have invested $35 million into the Alberta Scaleup and Growth Accelerator Program
|The Business Development Bank of Canada defines Accelerator as, “a program that gives developing companies access to mentorship, investors and other support that help them become stable, self-sufficient businesses.”|
In 2021, we contracted 5 global Accelerators to vault Alberta’s promising start-ups through the Scaleup and Grwoth Accelerator Program and bridge the scaleup gap. These Accelerators are: Alberta Accelerator by 500, Plug and Play Alberta, Community Safety and Wellness Accelerator powered by Alchemist, and Alberta Pre-Accelerator. Since launch, we have also welcomed SVG| THRIVE Canada Accelerator to support agricultural and food innovation startups.
Together, these global Accelerators will help us:
- Address scale-up gaps to help Alberta, Canadian and global ventures to scale and grow and contribute to a thriving innovation ecosystem in Alberta.
- Diversify Alberta’s economy by supporting entrepreneurship and innovation in new technology areas that will create high-quality jobs throughout the province.
- Drive Alberta’s global innovation mindset by attracting global technology firms and investment to Alberta via a world-class acceleration ecosystem
Unlike other global Accelerators, participation in the Alberta Scaleup and Growth Accelerator Program is free of charge and they do not take equity from participating companies. In addition, we also offer our Accelerator alumni the opportunity to join our Fund and Fellowship network that will continue to nurture companies as they grow. We know through experience that the more support and connections that scaling company receives, the more likely they will be to thrive and prosper.
Interested in applying?
These programs are open to companies from Alberta, Canada and around the world.
If you are a startup looking to join the next cohort of businesses, apply through the Accelerator portals:
Alberta Pre-Accelerator – for early-stage tech startups who need help getting ready to advance to the scaleup/acceleration stage.
SVG| THRIVE Canada Accelerator – for early-stage startups from across the value chain whose technologies drive us towards a more efficient, sustainable, and secure agriculture future.
Alberta Accelerator by 500 – for sector agnostic tech companies
Plug and Play Alberta – for tech companies focused on sustainable innovations, digital health innovations, and sector agnostic innovation
Community Safety and Wellness Accelerator powered by Alchemist – for tech companies, including social enterprises, using artificial intelligence and machine learning to develop apps or digital platforms that specifically provide a social, community or wellness benefit.
- Nascence – Find Your Future Phase 1 Report
- Alberta Innovates meta-analysis of accelerators
- Alberta Innovates incubator and accelerator final report
- Leading to Scale: The Design, Delivery, and Impact of SME Leadership Development Programs