Funding renewable energy projects in Alberta
The BioEnergy program supports the development of a bioenergy industry that contributes to Alberta’s supply of renewable energy through the production of biofuels and novel value-added products. The program invests in projects that develop and/or deploy waste or biomass conversion technologies.
How the program works
We support innovation as a key part of the transition to a low carbon future and enable the participation of Alberta’s urban and rural communities. The goals of the BioEnergy program are connected with the ARIF 2030 targets:
- A 50 percent reduction in greenhouse gas intensity;
- 30 percent of electricity will be supplied by renewable energies by 2030; and
- Alberta’s clean tech sector in Alberta will increase by 25 percent then 50 percent reduction in organic waste to landfill.
Available funding opportunities
There are no current funding calls currently available in the BioEnergy Program.
Who is the program open to?
This program is open to researchers, innovators, small and medium sized enterprises, large companies and consortia who are seeking funding, expertise and/or sector leadership to advance technology development from TRL 3 – 7.
The BioEnergy program focuses primarily on two areas:
Waste to Value-Added Products
These are opportunities that optimize value-added processes including increased yields of products, such as biogas and syngas.
Conversion and Refining Processes
These are opportunities that include work in:
- Waste/biomass conversion technologies;
- The use of bioenergy as an effective, low-carbon and low-cost grid management and energy storage option;
- The development and deployment of biofuel technologies;
- The development of biomass to liquid-fuels and Gas to Liquids; and
- The development of renewable natural gas from syngas and biogas.
Prospective applicants must be familiar with program documentation prior to applying:
- Program guide
- Agreement with joint funders
- Application aid (Expressions of Interest)
- Application aid (Full Proposal)
- Project plan
- Milestone reporting and payment schedule (pre-March 2018)
- Milestone reporting and payment schedule (post-March 2018)
- Progress report form
- Final report form