‘Building green’ with emerging technology
The construction industry is experiencing a technological and green revolution across the entire building life cycle, from design, building and operation to demolition. Advances in digital and automation technologies coupled with growing demands for sustainable products provides an opportunity to transform Alberta’s value-added sector.
Hardwood species account for approximately 40 per cent of the total forest resource in Alberta, and are underutilized as an available and sustainable fibre resource for bio-based products, composites and materials in the construction industry. Similarly, Alberta’s abundant agricultural residual fibres and industrial crops could provide options as alternative or complementary raw materials for structural or furnishing applications.
The Building With BioFibre funding call is targeted at advancing emerging technologies that utilize Alberta’s plentiful forest and/or agricultural fibre, and encourage their use in green construction to support economic development of the bioindustrial sector.
How the program works
Projects will include:
- Underutilized biofibre feedstock: Novel utilization of hardwood, agriculture residual fibre, and/or industrial crop resources to advance technological innovation, build capacity and enhance value-added capabilities; and
- Green construction: Development of green construction alternatives using biocomposite materials and/or advancement of prefabrication through automation and digital technologies to increase productivity, improve efficiency, reduce environmental impact, and achieve a low-carbon future throughout the building life cycle.
Please note: bioenergy, biochar and biofuel applications are out of scope for this funding opportunity.
Projects must start between Technology Readiness Level 3 to 7.
This funding call is open to technology developers, industry, industrial associations, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), research and development (R&D) organizations, post-secondary institutions, municipalities, not-for-profit organizations, government research labs, and individuals, who are legally able to execute the Investment Agreement.
Applicants are not required to be based in Alberta, but must demonstrate a clear value proposition for Alberta.
Alberta Innovates is making up to $2,000,000 CAD over 24 months available for this program. It supports up to 50 per cent of the total eligible costs, to a maximum of $250,000 per individual project.
The maximum length for projects funded under this program is two years from project initiation. Projects must be completed no later than March 31, 2024.
Applicants are highly encouraged to include additional funding partners or collaborators. Projects that can demonstrate end-user engagement, capacity-building and formal partnerships will receive additional consideration for funding.
The application is a one-step process through the Alberta Innovates online Grants Management System.
The funding process is highly competitive and only the highest-quality projects will be considered for funding. A detailed Program Guide is available below under Resources.
Applicants with approved proposals will execute an Investment Agreement with Alberta Innovates to proceed with the activities of the project. Links to sample templates for the Investment Agreements can be found below under Resources, for your reference.
Alberta Innovates continues to require reports for five years following the completion of the project to measure long-term benefits.
- November 4, 2021 – Funding call launch.
- December 20, 2021, 12 p.m. MST – Deadline for submissions.
- February 2022 – Notification to applicants.
- March 31, 2024 – All projects must be completed.
Program timelines may be subject to change.
Are you interested in applying?
- Familiarize yourself with the Building With BioFibre Program Guide and other resources below.
- Ensure you are an eligible applicant. Eligibility is defined in the Program Guide.
- Submit your application online using the Alberta Innovates grant management system by 12 p.m. MST, December 20, 2021. Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete their application in advance of this deadline. Alberta Innovates will not accept partial or incomplete submissions. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Building With BioFibre – Program Guide – Nov 2021
- Investment Agreement Template (Academic)
- Investment Agreement Template (Industry)
- Alberta Innovates Grants Management System