This program is an opportunity for stakeholders in Alberta’s Cannabis ecosystem to collaborate in a coordinated way to advance Cannabis research and innovations that aim to enhance patient care, improve patient outcomes, support training of health professionals, and responsibly grow Canada’s Cannabis industry. These opportunities will align to Alberta Innovates’ three research and innovation priorities, the Alberta Research and Innovation Framework (ARIF), and will create economic and health value for Alberta citizens.
Alberta Innovates acknowledges the collaborative support provided by Campus Alberta Neurosciences in launching this program.
How the Program Works
Are you a researcher looking for funding for medical Cannabis research and pain?
Consider the Pre-clinical Research (Stream 1) of the mCannabis Program:
This program will support applicants in improving our understanding of Cannabis phytochemicals (i.e., cannabinoids and terpenoids / terpenes) for pain.
Projects will be supported for up to $300,000 for a maximum term of 24 months. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm MST, January 29, 2020.
We want to hear your ideas about how we can support and improve patient outcomes.
Consider submitting your ideas through the Post-market component (Stream 2) of the mCannabis Program:
This opportunity will explore big ideas on how Alberta Innovates can support the use of post-market surveillance data to improve patient outcomes and responsibly grow Canada’s Cannabis industry. Big ideas are encouraged through a Request for Information (RFI).
Responses to these RFIs will be used to inform a possible future program call. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm MST, February 12, 2020.
Submit your RFI by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line: mCannabis – S2 – [Applicant LAST NAME]
Refer to Program Guide for details. If you still have questions, see our FAQ document.
Alberta Innovates’ investment for successful projects within Stream 1 of the mCannabis program will be for a maximum of $300,000 per project, up to 24 months. Funding applies only to Stream 1.
Stream 2 is not funded at this time; however, all submissions received as a result of Stream 2 will be used to inform a future competitive call.
Refer to Program Guide for details.
The mCannabis program seeks to:
- Understand Cannabis phytochemicals for putative pain or analgesic properties (Stream 1).
- Improve patient outcomes and grow Canada’s Cannabis Industry by understanding how Alberta Innovates can support the use of post-market surveillance data (Stream 2).
- Provide a platform of engagement among medical Cannabis stakeholders to coordinate and collaborate to generate evidence and knowledge for more informed Cannabis use.
- Provide advisory support for entities seeking engagement and input with healthcare delivery professionals and patients.
- Promote Alberta-based research and innovation into local and global markets to support Canada’s Cannabis industry.
- Realize economic and health benefits for Albertans.
Who can Apply
- For potential Applicants seeking funding support for Stream 1 (i.e., phytochemicals and pain), Applicants must demonstrate a significant legal and physical presence in Alberta.
- This opportunity is intended for any interested parties working with Cannabis. For potential Applicants seeking to contribute Big Ideas for Stream 2 (i.e., request for ideas – how can Alberta Innovates support the use of post-market data), anyone can apply. Intake is open to all Cannabis-related stakeholders.
|Activity||Date / Time|
|Stream 1 – Application Deadline||Wednesday, January 29, 2020 (4:00 p.m. MST)|
|Stream 1 – Adjudication Process||Mid-February, 2020|
|Stream 1 – Funding Decisions and Results||Friday, February 28, 2020|
|Stream 1 – Agreements Signed and Fully Executed||Tuesday, March 31, 2020|
|Stream 2 – Submission Deadline||Wednesday, February 12, 2020 (4:00 p.m. MST)|
|Stream 2 – Workshop to Prioritize Responses||Early April, 2020|
- Apply through the Alberta Innovates Online Application Portal