In partnership with the Alberta Chapter of the Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality Association (VRARA), Alberta Innovates is proud to announce the eXtended Reality Health Economic Acceleration and Development (xR HEAD) program. This program will be a first-of-its-kind opportunity for stakeholders in Alberta’s virtual, mixed, and augmented-reality (collectively ‘xR’) health innovation ecosystem to come together in a coordinated way to jointly develop xR innovations that can enhance patient care or support the training of health professionals. These opportunities will be co-identified and co-developed by health innovation stakeholders and will align to Alberta Innovates’ four research and innovation priorities, the Alberta Research and Innovation Framework (ARIF), and will create economic and health system economic value.
Alberta Innovates’ Investment for successful Projects within xR HEAD will be a maximum of $250,000 per Project. A minimum of 25% of total Project Costs must be provided by either the Entity Applicant or the Receptor Site Applicant as cash or in-kind contributions. Cash contributions may not be made using funds from other Provincial (Alberta) funding. See the Program Guide for full details.
- xR HEAD seeks to:
- Build a platform where stakeholders in Alberta’s xR healthcare ecosystem can come together in a coordinated way to jointly identify needs and test and implement solutions.
- Provide advisory and “match-making” support for Entities seeking engagement and input with healthcare delivery professionals and patients.
- Link Entities into the business advisory services provided by our Technology Development Advisors Program and Regional Innovation Network partners.
- Support the accelerated testing and evaluation of xR-based innovations through real-world Projects that can generate the evidence necessary to inform innovation adoption.
- Promote the entry and diffusion of made-in-Alberta health innovations into local and global markets to boost success of health-based xR entities.
- Cultivate a high performing R&I ecosystem by contributing to a diversified economy and enhancing the health of Albertans.
Who can Apply
Each Project funded through xR HEAD must involve an Entity Applicant and a Receptor Site Applicant.
The Receptor Site Applicant must demonstrate a significant legal and physical presence in Alberta. All Applications must demonstrate positive impact for Alberta and will require close collaboration between the Entity Applicant and Receptor Site.
See the Program Guide for full details.