*Intake for the (xR HEAD) program is now closed. Applicants are encouraged to look into additional Alberta Innovates programming, like our Accelerating Innovation into Care (AICE) programs *
The eXtended Reality Health Economic Acceleration and Development (xR HEAD) program is a first-of-its-kind opportunity for stakeholders in Alberta’s virtual, mixed, and augmented-reality (collectively ‘xR’) health innovation ecosystem.
There are seven projects currently underway within the program. Please select each project title for more detailed information.
|Applicant||Receptor||Project Title||Award Value|
|Dynacor Communications Inc.||Alberta Health Services – Emergency Medical Services||Prolonged Exposure Therapy VR
|ICOM Productions Inc.||Bow Valley College||Virtual Reality Focused Assessment Tool
|University of Alberta||Alberta Health Services – Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital||Glenrose: xR Simulations to Increase Patient Compliance for Rehabilitation||$249,425|
|KO Group Ltd.||University of Alberta – Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences||Degenerative Eye Condition VR Experience
|Luxsonic Technologies, Inc.||Pureform Diagnostic Imaging Clinics||SieVrt – Clinical workflow integration of a virtual reality radiology system
|Red Iron Labs Ltd.||Lethbridge College||CareGiVR: Building Self-Efficacy in Dementia Care Through Immersive Education
|AnimationLeader Technology Inc.||Caleo Health||Development of a Standardized BioMechanics Assessment Protocol (BMAP) using Bodiometer’s AR-enabled Posture Tracking App
The program has been developed in partnership with the Alberta Chapter of the Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality Association (VRARA) to ensure alignment of current industry capabilities with the needs of our health system and post-secondary partners.
Applying Innovation to the Health System
The focus of the program is to create opportunities to enhance patient care or support the training of health professionals in alignment with Alberta Innovates’ strategic focus on digital health technologies.
In collaboration with external subject matter experts, Alberta Innovates has selected seven projects aiming to advance the usage of xR technology in the care of patients and the education of Alberta’s current and future health professionals.
xR Head launched in November 2019 and is currently closed to applications.
Alberta Innovates’ Investment for successful Projects within xR HEAD will be a maximum of $250,000 per Project. A minimum of 25% of total Project Costs must be provided by either the Entity Applicant or the Receptor Site Applicant as cash or in-kind contributions. Cash contributions may not be made using funds from other Provincial (Alberta) funding. See the Program Guide for full details.
xR HEAD seeks to:
- Build a platform where stakeholders in Alberta’s xR healthcare ecosystem can come together in a coordinated way to jointly identify needs and test and implement solutions.
- Provide advisory and “match-making” support for Entities seeking engagement and input with healthcare delivery professionals and patients.
- Link Entities into the business advisory services provided by our Technology Development Advisors Program and Regional Innovation Network partners.
- Support the accelerated testing and evaluation of xR-based innovations through real-world Projects that can generate the evidence necessary to inform innovation adoption.
- Promote the entry and diffusion of made-in-Alberta health innovations into local and global markets to boost success of health-based xR entities.
- Cultivate a high performing R&I ecosystem by contributing to a diversified economy and enhancing the health of Albertans.
Director, Portfolio Management