The Innovation Relief and Recovery Program is designed to provide COVID relief and recovery support for pre- and post-revenue high potential, high growth, technology or knowledge-based Alberta small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Update: funding top up from Alberta Innovates
The IRR program is now closed. Due to the high number of applications received in the November 2nd call, the total program funding was increased allowing for more companies to be supported. 161 applications were received, and 77 projects were approved for funding. Funding for the program was provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and Alberta Innovates.
Read the news release.
Connecting to service providers
The purpose of the program is to provide quick access to support for activities that will help maintain jobs and continue to grow our Alberta innovation and technology sector.
This program is designed for pre- and post-revenue high potential, high growth, technology or knowledge-based Alberta SMEs.
The program is not designed for entrepreneurs who are in the ideation or conceptualizing stage of company or technology development. Please visit the Regional Innovation Network in your area for any available training programs.
Eligible applicants can apply for up to $10,000, which will be paid directly to the service provider, to cover eligible expenses charged by the service provider for the purpose of one or more of the following activities:
- Product research and development;
- Design, engineering and prototype development;
- Product testing and refinement;
- Advanced market assessment or segmentation analysis;
- Advanced business and/or marketing strategies;
- Acquisition, adaptation and adoption of new technology processes;
- Process re-engineering;
- Manufacturing capacity improvement or
- Professional services, such as human resources, legal and financial, required to support relief and recovery
No matching financial contribution is required for this program.
How the program works
A call for applications is now open until November 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm. Target start date of projects is December 1, 2020 with all projects ending before March 2, 2021.
Projects are a maximum of three months long and funding is paid directly to the service provider.
Are you interested in applying?
- Familiarize yourself with the program documents below.
- Connect with a Technology Development Advisor or the Program Associate below if you have further questions.
- Access applicant portal to submit your application online.
Related programs and services
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.
The Innovation Relief and Recovery program is supported in part by the Government of Canada through Western Economic Diversification Canada, as part of the Regional Relief and Recovery Fund.