Accelerating innovations to commercialization
The International Technology Partnership program is designed to de-risk the commercialization process by providing funds and coaching to high potential, high growth technology Alberta small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to further product development or pilot the technical and business merits of their product to prove the value, and advance commercialization.
Developing or piloting new products with an international project partner who could be the first buyer or influential client(s) is critical in the commercialization and scale-up pathway.
Qualified SMEs may be eligible for up to $250,000 in funding over a maximum eighteen month term. This program is a “matching” program. This means we’ll match the applicant’s contributions to a maximum investment of $250,000. The international project partner is also expected to match the applicant’s contributions.
Do you qualify for the International Technology Partnership Program?
The program is a good fit for SMEs:
- with a product at a TRL 6 to 8
- where the result of the project will bring the technology near commercialization (product now ready to be piloted in an operational environment or product verified in operational environment);
- that have the participation of at least one International Project Partner(s) before applying to the program;
- that can complete the project within eighteen months; and
- can reasonably expect momentum to a first sale within two years post project
Full program and application details can be found in the program guide under program resources below.
How the program works
This program is an open-call format. Apply now.
Application to the International Technology Partnership Program open-call involves the following steps:
- The support of a Technology Development Advisor is required for the International Technology Partnership Program.
- Technology Development Advisors provide guidance, coaching and can assess the applicant’s International Technology Partnership Program readiness. They can recommend suitable alternative Alberta Innovates funding programs, and help direct the applicant to external funding opportunities. Connect with a Technology Development Advisor now!
- The applicant needs to submit a signed International Partnership Partner Letter of Interest from a senior manager level with their application.
- Access our applicant portal to submit your application online.
Program documents for applications
- Program guide
- Investment agreement template
- International project partner letter of interest template
- Application aid
- Applicant information slide deck
- Stay informed with Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisories website
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs
- r&D Associate
- Commercialization Associate
- Product Demonstration Program
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.
Entrepreneurial Investments Program Metrics
Learn more about how we measure progress with the Technology Commercialization Scorecard.
The impact of Alberta Innovates’ programming for 2021