Alberta Innovates’ Postgraduate Fellowships combine research training stipends with mentorship and career development allowances to better position emerging talent for high-impact careers in Alberta’s health research and innovation ecosystem.
The stipend component of the Postgraduate Fellowship is intended to help attract top-tier trainees to post-secondary institutions in Alberta, while protecting time for full immersion in the research training environment. Yet careers in research & innovation also involve considerable uncertainty and serendipity. Cultivating networks beyond one’s immediate field of study and complementing research skills with other professional competencies are key strategies for resiliency and success.
Alberta Innovates also offers Postgraduate Fellowships holder’s annual allowances to implement broader career development plans. These plans must include engagement with mentors outside of one’s research supervisory committee that can provide advice, learning opportunities, and connections in the health research & innovation ecosystem (see application instructions for more details).
How the program works
$50,000 per year research training stipend and a career development allowance ($5,000 annually) for a maximum of 36 months.
- Increase the competitiveness of Alberta as a training destination for top-tier talent;
- Complement traditional scholarly training with the development of professional competencies and networks that will help trainees identify and secure relevant opportunities in the health R&I ecosystem;
- Increase connections between trainees, experienced professionals, and receptor organizations in the province.
Who can apply?
Postgraduate Fellowships are open to Individuals who:
- Will have completed a PhD at the time of award implementation.
- Have accepted or currently hold a post-doctoral appointment at a post-secondary institution in Alberta.
Key documents & forms
- Program guide
- Application form (apply online through the application portal)
- Application instructions
- Biographic sketch information form
- Mentorship information form
Results & announcements
2019/2020 announcement (anticipated in early 2020)