Helping Alberta SME’s refine innovation
We created the Product ScaleUp Pilot Program to propel Alberta SMEs forward as they refine and iterate their highly scalable digital technologies.
The program is a grant of up to $100,000 for one year for qualified SMEs to hire a product associate with expertise in developing, commercializing, and scaling digital technology using a product management model.
Companies that qualify for the program
Supported SME’s must have technologies with strong product validation and revenue, proven product-market fit, and a strong commercialization strategy.
A matching contribution of 25 percent of the total salary is required, with Alberta Innovates providing up to $100,000 for one year.
The product associate must have expertise in developing, commercializing, and scaling digital technology using a product management model.
Preference will be given to Alberta-based product associates or those attracted to relocate to Alberta for the role.
Requests may be made to hire a product associate as a remote employee. There must, however, be strong justification for this arrangement.
Product associates can be hired on a part- or full-time basis, with part time product associate funding being prorated according to FTE percentage worked.
Full program and application details can be found in the program guide under program resources below.
Peer-to-peer network approach
This program uses a peer-to-peer network approach, connecting cohort members via a dedicated community portal. Successful applicants will receive ongoing virtual product management training for the leadership team and associate each month for six months that may include topics such as:
- Strategic Product Executive and Value within a ScaleUp organization
- Vision, Product Strategy, Expansion Strategies and alignment with Company Strategy
- ScaleUp Team Planning and Mapping, and How to Become a Scaleup Executive Influencer
- Financial Bootcamp for Scaleup Strategic Product Executives and Scaleup CEOs
- Data-driven Practices for Product Executives
- Your Seat at the Board Table and Communicating With Different Stakeholders
How the program works
The Product ScaleUp Pilot Program was accepting applications from September 14, 2021 to October 7, 2021. Late submissions were not be accepted.
Applicants were able to submit an application with or without an Associate. Successful applicants without an associate at the time of submission were granted four weeks to provide information of their chosen associate.
Tentative Agreement Terms:
Successful applicants with an Associate at time of submission
November 1, 2021 – Oct 31, 2022
Successful applicants without an Associate at time of submission
December 1, 2021 – November 30, 2022
- Program Guide
- Investment Agreement
- Product Associate – example job description
Program documents for application submitted on or before Nov 13, 2020
Related programs and services
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs
- Micro voucher
- Commercialization Associate
- Product Demonstration
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
- To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.
The impact of Alberta Innovates’ programming for 2021