The Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Research Program supports collaborative research directly related to understanding and managing CWD, a prion disease that affects deer, elk and other cervids. The Program funds projects to find solutions to the challenges faced from CWD.
The Program will result in a better understanding of the mechanism and transmission of CWD, minimize disease risks through development of innovative approaches that contribute to the diagnosis, prevention, cure, and possible elimination of the disease, and identify the broader societal and economic impact of CWD in Alberta. Projects could also provide information useful to all levels of government for the development of public policies regarding CWD. Proposals that embody expertise and approaches including more than one of the Program theme areas are strongly encouraged.
How the program works
Projects will be carried out by at least two Investigators from at least two different research institutions and/or small and medium sized enterprises (SME). One Alberta-based Investigator is to be nominated as the Principal Investigator (PI) and will submit the Application to the Program as the Applicant Representative. Awarded funds will flow through the institution or SME of the nominated PI.
Alberta Innovates is making up to $1,000,000 CAD available over a two-year period to support projects to find solutions to the challenges resulting from CWD. Up to $250,000 for individual projects will be awarded to successful applicants. Projects must include partner funding and be completed by December 31, 2023.
Projects must include a cash contribution from a partner funder, external to the nominated PI’s organization, of at least 25% of the total amount contributed by Alberta Innovates. In-kind contributions are welcome but are not eligible to be counted against this requirement.
Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 5:00 pm MDT
Are you interested in applying?
- Familiarize yourself with the Program Guide and resources below.
- Ensure you are an eligible applicant. Eligibility is defined in the Program Guide.
- Submit your application online using the Alberta Innovates grant management system by 5:00 pm MDT August 4, 2021. Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete their application in advance of this deadline. Alberta Innovates will not accept partial or incomplete submissions. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Applicants will be notified whether their Application is approved for support following the evaluation.
- Any Program-related questions should be addressed to Ron Clarkson at email@example.com or 780-429-9349
- CWD Research Program Guide
- Online Application Portal
- Investment Agreement Template (Academic)
- Investment Agreement Template (Industry)
- View the Webinar from June 15, 2021: