The application portal to the TIER Economic Recovery Program is currently closed while we review proposals received in the first cohort.
Should funds continue to be available after review of the first cohort is complete, we will open the portal to accept new applications. This decision will likely be made in January 2021.
Any change in Program status will be communicated as an update to this web page and through multiple Alberta Innovates communication tools.
Alberta Innovates’ TIER Economic Recovery Program (Program) will consist of a set of “shovel-ready” projects that will accelerate innovation in support of GHG emissions reduction, increase long-term economic competitiveness and stimulate growth in critically important sectors of Alberta’s economy. Full proposals must be submitted by November 30, 2020 to be reviewed in the first application cohort.
Full TIER Program and TIER Application details can be found in reference guides with links provided below.
- Program applicants may be technology developers, industry, industrial associations, small and medium-sized enterprises, research and development organizations, post-secondary institutions, municipalities, not-for-profit organizations, government research labs, and individuals.
- Collaboration between multiple organizations is encouraged to add value through technology validation, commercialization, and sharing of results.
Common themes of successful projects:
- they can be kicked off quickly and generate immediate economic benefits including job creation;
- they are fully aligned with the objectives of TIER fund and will lead to both near-term and long-term GHG emission reduction; and
- they can improve the competitive advantages and sustainability of Alberta’s resource sectors.
Program investments will range from $200,000 up to $5 million per project.
Applicants will be required to provide some matching funds, and projects will have well-defined objectives, milestones, deliverables, and timelines.
Alberta Innovates will host an introductory webinar for potential applicants on November 04, 2020 (9:00 am to 10:00 am MT).
To register for the webinar click here.
Application Process and Eligibility
Successful projects must align with TIER objectives, the Government of Alberta’s and Alberta Innovates’ strategic priorities, demonstrate contributions towards the Alberta Research and Innovation Framework (ARIF) 2030 Innovation Targets; and also against the following criteria:
- demonstrate GHG emissions reduction or enabling future reductions;
- increased Alberta industry competitiveness;
- creation or maintenance of skilled jobs within Alberta;
- enabling future economic growth;
- Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 4 to 7 at project commencement;
- maximized industry contribution where possible (min. 25% of project costs); AND
- projects can start immediately = “shovel ready”.
Proposals may be submitted through the continuous intake application process found here: Alberta Innovates Application Portal.
Following registration, applicants must choose the Clean Resources Continuous Intake form and select TIER Program.
The time to develop, submit and have an application reviewed by Clean Resources has been accelerated for this funding opportunity.
The timeline below is subject to change. Applicants will be notified of any changes accordingly.
- TIER Program Announcement – Oct 27th, 2020
- TIER Program Details Released – Oct 27th, 2020
- Intake Application Deadline (First Cohort) – Nov 16th
- Full Proposal Application Deadline (First Cohort) – Nov 30th, 5 PM MST, 2020.
Note – There is a screening stage for applications to ensure TIER Program alignment prior to applicants being given access to the full proposal form. Therefore, do not delay your initial application if you are interested in applying to this program.
Applications can be submitted anytime using our continuous intake process. Applications will be reviewed in batches. Reviews of full proposals for the first cohort will commence November 30th, 2020. Applications received after this date will be reviewed subject to the availability of funds.
· Click this link to watch a recording of the Nov 04 2020 Webinar