The application portal to the TIER Economic Recovery Program is closed. All funds have been allocated to projects.
Alberta Innovates’ TIER (Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction) Economic Recovery Program consists of 23 “shovel-ready” projects that will accelerate innovations to reduce GHG emissions, increase long-term economic competitiveness and stimulate growth in critically important sectors of Alberta’s economy. Proposals were submitted prior to November 30, 2020, and $50 million in funding was awarded to 23 successful applicants. All projects commenced prior to April 2021. Successful applicants were announced November 17, 2021.
- Applicants included technology developers, industry, industrial associations, small and medium enterprises, research and development organizations, post-secondary institutions and government research labs.
- Most projects include collaboration between multiple organizations to add value through technology validation, commercialization and sharing of results.
- All projects were kicked off quickly to generate immediate economic benefits including job creation.
- Funded projects were fully aligned with the objectives of the TIER fund and will lead to both near-term and long-term GHG emission reduction.
- Projects were selected for their potential to improve the competitive advantages and sustainability of Alberta’s resource sectors.
- Alberta Innovates investments in projects ranged from $245,000 to $5,000,000 per project.
- Applicants were required to provide matching funds to projects.
Click on the project title to view a two-page summary.