In March, 2016 the consolidation of Alberta Innovates was announced and on November 1, a single, integrated innovation powerhouse, Alberta Innovates, was formed. Two applied research subsidiaries — InnoTech Alberta and C-FER Technologies serve public and private sector interests.
The Alberta Innovates system was first created in January 2010, as part of an overall innovation framework developed within the Alberta Research and Innovation Act. At that time, four corporations were established:
- Bio Solutions
- Energy and Environment Solutions
- Health Solutions
- Technology Futures.
The Alberta Innovates system has a 90-year legacy. Our expertise is built on the successes of:
- Alberta Institute for Agriculture
- Forestry and the Environment
- Alberta Agricultural Research Institute
- Alberta Forestry Research Institute
- Alberta Life Sciences Institute
- Alberta Ingenuity
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
- Alberta Research Council
- Alberta Water Research Institute (AWRI)
- Alberta Energy Research Institute (AERI)
- Alberta Oil Sands Technology and Research Authority (AOSTRA).