Grants to build business readiness
Alberta’s high potential, high growth, technology and knowledge-based small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) may be eligible for funding to enable them to employ a highly trained resource with the goal of advancing business readiness levels and/or accelerating product commercialization.
The Commercialization Associate understands business fundamentals and practices, applying knowledge of industry, as well as market and business trends to prioritize commercialization activities. These activities include, but are not limited to, manufacturing analysis and planning, advanced product validation, exploring new market opportunities, marketing, sales, financial strategies, and business development activities.
This program is designed to fund SMEs to employ a commercialization professional, for up to two years, through one of the following options:
- Level 1 – full-time, up to $52,500 per year
- Level 2 – full-time, up to $75,000 per year
- Level 3 – full or part-time, up to $105,000 per year
Alberta Innovates will also provide an additional $7,000 per year as an expense allowance for the associate.
Please refer to the program guide for an explanation of the various levels.
How the program works
This program is an open-call format. Apply now.
- Familiarize yourself with the program documents below.
- The support of a Technology Development Advisor is strongly recommended. Connect now.
- Complete your online applications by visiting our Applicant Portal.
The applicant may submit an application with or without the selection of a specific Commercialization Associate. If the application is submitted without the selection of a specific associate, it will be evaluated on the “Applicant” and “Opportunity” sections of the application. If approved, the applicant will have up a maximum of six months to submit the “Associate” and “Project” sections of the application for evaluation.
Entrepreneurial Investments Program Metrics
Learn more about how we measure progress with the Technology Commercialization Scorecard.
- Commercialization Associates program guide
- Commercialization Associates application aid
- Commercialization Associates work plan & budget tables
- Commercialization Associates agreement template
- Commercialization Associates expense allowance financial table
- Commercialization Associates progress report form
- Commercialization Associates final report form
- Commercialization Associates Program guide – pre-January 2019
Related programs and services
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs
- r&D Associate
- Product Demonstration
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.