Grants to build technology readiness
Alberta’s high potential, high growth, technology and knowledge-based small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) may be eligible for up to $74,500 per year for up to two years to enable them to employ in-house professional research and development capability, to advance the Technology Readiness Level and accelerate new product commercialization.
The r&D Associate has the advanced technical skills required by the SME to make that last leap from research to a marketable product.
This 2 year program is designed to fund SMEs to employ an r&D professional through one of the following options:
- Level 1 – full-time, up to $52,500 per year
- Level 2 – full-time, up to $67,500 per year
Alberta Innovates will also provide an additional $7,000 per year as an expense allowance for the associate.
Please refer to the program guide below for an explanation of the various levels.
How the program works
This program is an open-call format. Apply now.
Are you interested in submitting a new application?
- We’ve launched a new grant management system, please read the announcement to see how this impacts new and existing applications and applicants. Contact your Program Associate if you have questions.
- Familiarize yourself with the program documents below.
- Connect with a Technology Development Advisor.
- Access applicant portal to submit your application online.
- Any questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 403-210-5229.
Please note: the applicant may submit an application with or without the selection of a specific r&D Associate. If the application is submitted without the selection of a specific associate, it will be evaluated on the “Applicant” and “Opportunity” sections of the application. If approved, the applicant will have up a maximum of six months to submit the “Associate” and “Project” sections of the application for evaluation.
Are you currently working on an existing application?
Applications started in our existing grants management systems prior to April 14, 2020 will continue to be managed through the system in which the application was received, meaning the benefits listed above do not apply.
Entrepreneurial Investments Program Metrics
Learn more about how we measure progress with the Technology Commercialization Scorecard.
- r&D Associates program guide
- r&D Associates work plan & budget
- r&D Associates agreement template
- r&D Associates expense allowance financial table
- r&D Associates progress report form
- r&D Associates final report form
- r&D Associates program guide – pre-January 2019
Related programs and services
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs
- Micro voucher
- Commercialization Associate
- Product Demonstration
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.