Grants to build technology readiness
Alberta’s high potential, high growth, technology and knowledge-based small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) may be eligible for up to $74,500 per year for up to two years to enable them to employ in-house professional research and development capability, to advance the Technology Readiness Level and accelerate new product commercialization.
The r&D Associate has the advanced technical skills required by the SME to make that last leap from research to a marketable product.
This 2 year program is designed to fund SMEs to employ an r&D professional through one of the following options:
- Level 1 – full-time, up to $52,500 per year
- Level 2 – full-time, up to $67,500 per year
Alberta Innovates will also provide an additional $7,000 per year as an expense allowance for the associate.
Please refer to the program guide for an explanation of the various levels.
How the program works
This program is an open-call format. Apply now.
- Familiarize yourself with program documentation below.
- The support of a Technology Development Advisor is strongly recommended. Connect now.
- Complete your online applications by visiting our Applicant Portal.
The applicant may submit an application with or without the selection of a specific r&D Associate. If the application is submitted without the selection of a specific associate, it will be evaluated on the “Applicant” and “Opportunity” sections of the application. If approved, the applicant will have up a maximum of six months to submit the “Associate” and “Project” sections of the application for evaluation.
Entrepreneurial Investments Program Metrics
Learn more about how we measure progress with the Technology Commercialization Scorecard.
- r&D Associates program guide
- r&D Associates application aid
- r&D Associates work plan & budget
- r&D Associates agreement template
- r&D Associates expense allowance financial table
- r&D Associates progress report form
- r&D Associates final report form
- r&D Associates program guide – pre-January 2019
Related programs and services
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs
- Commercialization Associate
- Product Demonstration
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.