Helping Alberta’s digital companies scale and grow their business
Alberta Digital Traction is a funding program of up to $50,000 for small-and medium-sized Alberta enterprises (SMEs) that have software development at the core of one or more of their products and/or services.
Qualified candidates are those that intend to rapidly scale in the global marketplace to accelerate their revenue growth.
We offer the funding to help qualified Alberta SMEs cover eligible expenses required to complete up to three milestones that demonstrate they’ve attained digital traction. We’ve listed the eligible milestone activities below.
Do you qualify for the Alberta Digital Traction program?
The program is a good fit for high potential, scaling, digital Alberta SMEs that have:
- an existing relationship with an approved Alberta-based entrepreneur program or a Technology Development Advisor (See the program guide for more information),
- a digital innovation that offers a significant competitive advantage over existing solutions,
- a minimum viable product to test,
- a technology that could scale up in one to two years, if successful, and
- customer acquisition targets and strategy for the next three years.
Alberta-based entrepreneur programs
Qualified Alberta digital SMEs must connect with an approved Alberta-based entrepreneur program through the Regional Innovation Network and/or a Technology Development Advisor for a letter of support.
These programs are chosen due to their knowledge of lean startup methodologies, digital traction roadmaps and customer discovery lead product development models.
Letters from other globally recognized programs that align with these methodologies will be accepted with prior approval.
Support and available funding
With the guidance of an Alberta-based entrepreneur program’s business coach or a Technology Development Advisor, eligible applicants can apply for up to $50,000 paid directly to the applicant.
Funding will cover eligible expenses required to complete up to three milestones to demonstrate traction. The applicant pays a minimum 25 percent cash contribution of the total eligible project costs.
Eligible project activities included in a milestone may include:
- Customer and/or client discovery;
- Digital market assessment and segmentation analysis;
- Data-driven, online market assessment testing;
- Product development based on client feedback;
- Advanced market assessment or segmentation analysis; or
- Advanced sales and/or marketing strategies.
How the program works
Application portal is now open, closing October 22, 2021 at 12 p.m. MST.
Are you interested in applying?
- Familiarize yourself with the program documents below,
- Obtain a letter of support from an approved Alberta-based entrepreneur program/coach, and
- Access our applicant portal to submit your application online.
- Any questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org 403-210-5229.
Program documents round three (September-October 2021)
Program documents round two (July-August 2021)
Program documents for applications submitted prior to 2021
Related programs and services
Connectica is a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.
Learn more about how we measure progress with the technology commercialization scorecard.