Alberta’s innovation engine
As part of our leadership role, we work to champion innovation and inform the public about the importance and scope of this work.
Our publications tell stories of impact and provide accountability for our investments and activities.
Our fiscal year runs from April 1 to March 31.
Alberta Innovates corporate publications
- 2022-25 Business Plan
- 2021-24 Business Plan
- 2020-23 Business Plan
- 2019-22 Business Plan
- 2018-21 Business Plan
Current annual report
In 2021-22, Alberta Innovates continued to support innovators and solution-finders across the province with our programs, our funding and our talented staff. Nearly 2,400 entrepreneurs and clients moved their ventures forward using our advanced research
infrastructure or our programs.
The entrepreneurs and ideas we help to advance will solve problems and build new opportunities and capacity in the innovation economy – from digital health to smart agriculture, from clean resource technologies to artificial intelligence and advanced
manufacturing – all of which leverage Alberta’s existing advantages and strengths.
– Brenda Kenny, Chairperson, Alberta Innovates Board of Directors
Read the 2021-22 Annual Report.
Previous annual reports
Other reports and publications
- Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage (CCUS) White Paper
- This white paper focuses on technology innovation required for broad commercial-scale deployment of CCUS in Alberta.
- Bitumen Beyond Combustion (BBC) White Paper
- This white paper sets out the Alberta Innovates vision for the oil sands in a net-zero economy. It outlines a strategy to divert a greater portion of bitumen production away from fuel production and use it instead to manufacture high-value products and materials.
- Leading to Scale: The Design, Delivery, and Impact of SME Leadership Development Programs
- This report sets out to explore how programs targeting leaders of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) operate, and the ways these programs positively influence the behaviour of these leaders.
- Alberta Innovates meta-analysis of accelerators
- This report presents a meta-analysis of business accelerators and draws out relevant insights to inform on the Alberta entrepreneurial ecosystem. A summary of key insights are presented in the document.
- Alberta Innovates incubator and accelerator final report
- The purpose of this report is to examine recent trends related to incubators and accelerators that are relevant for the Alberta entrepreneurial ecosystem. The report does not assess the performance of current or previous incubators and accelerators in Alberta. Instead, the report focuses on defining, describing and critically assessing these two modes of enterprise support for further consideration and discussion.
- Alberta Innovates meta-analysis of networks
- The purpose of this report is to synthesize network effects on entrepreneurial ecosystems, as well as on economic and societal impacts. The report examines how different network analysis techniques are used to assess and measure networks and discusses network effects associated with high performance and impact. A summary of key findings and actionable insights are presented.
- Regional Innovation Network of Southern Alberta (RINSA) Impact Case Study
- This report presents the findings from the Regional Innovation Network of Southern Alberta using a retrospective realist impact case study approach. It was conducted to deepen our understanding of network effects and RINSA’s contribution to economic and societal impact in the local region. This report is one of a number of studies being conducted to collectively learn more about the effect of networks on research and innovation ecosystems and provide actionable insights for moving forward.
- Nascence – Find Your Future Phase 1 Report
- The Find Your Future project report focuses on entrepreneurial ecosystem navigation, or ‘wayfinding’ for entrepreneurs to find the “right services at the right time” that supports a seamless journey for scaling up and growing of their businesses. The report explores how wayfinding currently works and identifies solutions that enhance a positive experience for entrepreneurs. The Find Your Future project report is the first report in a three-part series. This is the Phase 1 report, which we title ‘Nascence’. It serves as a new beginning, an opportunity to reflect on how far we have come, and where we go next. Phase two will engage the community to co-develop processes and tools to enhance the connections between entrepreneurs and ecosystem resources in an entrepreneur-centric way, to promote collaboration on solving scale-up and growth challenges and creating future Alberta ecosystem opportunities.
- 2018 Action Plan for Climate Leadership
- 2017-18 Annual Impact Report for Health Innovation
- 2018-19 Annual Impact Report for Health Innovation
- 2019-20 Annual Impact Report for Health Innovation