What is it?
Accelerating Innovations into CarE (AICE) – Validate is an opportunity for Alberta’s health-tech innovators to accelerate the commercialization of emerging health technologies through the early validation phase.
Alberta Innovates Client Journey
AICE-Validate supports innovators in rapidly progressing towards market entry across the key domains of:
- Product Development,
- Business Readiness,
- Product-Market Fit, and
- Regulatory Compliance.
Ideal Applicants have:
- Strong proof-of-concept data involving their technology;
- A technology that outperforms its direct and indirect competitors;
- Ownership or exclusive rights to the technology;
- An experienced and well-rounded management team;
- Preferably completed an accelerator or business coaching program;
- An emerging technology, preferably digital or data-enabled, with the potential to generate cost-effective, beneficial health outcomes.
Alberta Innovates will contribute up to $300,000 CAD to support approved projects over a maximum term of 24 months.
A minimum of 25% of total eligible Project Costs must be provided by the Applicant as cash or in-kind contributions.
1. Intake form
- Start by reading the Program Guide to confirm fit to detailed eligibility requirements and program objectives.
- Complete the “AICE Market Access/Validate Intake Form” via our online application portal. Intake forms can be submitted at any time and should be submitted well in advance of the Full Application deadline (and no later than 4 weeks before any deadline).
(Please note: You will need to create an account to access our online application portal. If you have any questions about the application process or concerns about your project’s eligibility, feel free to contact Alberta Innovates at any time. )
2. Pre-application meeting
We will meet with you to ensure program fit and provide support. Applicants who demonstrate appropriate readiness and meet basic eligibility requirements will be invited to apply.
3. Full Application
Complete the Full Application via our online application portal. Full Applications are competitively reviewed in batches throughout the year. Upcoming application dates are noted below.
Invited Full Application Cut-off Dates
Intake forms are to be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance to be considered and invited to submit a Full Application for the following submission dates:
- May 27, 2022
- August 19, 2022
- November 10, 2022
- February 10, 2023
- Accelerating Innovations into CarE (AICE) – Concepts – serves to accelerate early-stage health research and innovation that demonstrates high commercial potential in priority areas of precision health.
- Accelerating Innovations into CarE (AICE) – Market Access Program – program that provides supports small-to-medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and real-world testing sites in carrying out implementation projects or clinical trials of innovative health technologies.
- Alberta Innovates, Entrepreneurial Investments – Alberta Innovates offers a variety of related high-demand, entrepreneurial investment programs that are of interest to SMEs.
Additional Supports & Resources
- Alberta Innovates Technology Development Advisors – provide front-line business coaching and technology development advice to small- & medium-size enterprises in technology or knowledge-based industries.
- Regional Innovation Networks – entrepreneur-centric, community-based networks with the goal of providing programs and services to accelerate growth of technology and knowledge-based businesses in Alberta jurisdictions.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) – provides evidence standards that enable innovators to determine what level of evidence may be required to facilitate adoption of digital health technologies.
- Alberta SPOR SUPPORT Unit (AbSPORU) – provides support for stakeholders in conducting patient-oriented research. AbSPORU bridges gaps between data, research evidence and healthcare practice.
- E-Learning Tool – Health Canada – resource intended to educate stakeholders on premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada.
- Alberta Clinical Research Roadmap – an interactive online navigator outlining the steps to setting up and conducting a clinical health research study within Alberta.
- ARECCI – helps practitioners, agencies and organizations identify and mitigate ethical risks in program evaluations, quality improvement projects, needs assessments, health innovations and knowledge translation.
|Main Project Partners||Project Title||Award Date||Value|
|XSensor Technology Corp., W21C at the University of Calgary and AHS||ForeSite Intelligent Surface – Continuous Skin Monitoring||January 1, 2022||$300,000|
|Alethea Medical (previously ENTID)||Assisting Physicians to Make Correct Diagnoses Using Artificial Intelligence||January 3, 2022||$178,000|
|Wave View Imaging||Accessible point-of-care breast imaging: defining key use cases for an improved breast imaging technology||
March 1, 2022
|LyfeMD Inc.||App to provide personalized, evidence-based, lifestyle therapies to people with digestive disease||March 15, 2022||$300,000|