What is it?
Accelerating Innovations into CarE (AICE) – Validate is an opportunity for Alberta’s health-tech innovators to accelerate commercialization of digital and data-enabled health technologies.
AICE-Validate supports innovators in rapidly progressing towards market across the key domains of:
- Product Development,
- Business Readiness,
- Product-Market Fit, and
- Regulatory Compliance.
Health Innovation Cycle1 and the Alberta Innovates Client Journey
The AICE-Validate Program is designed to accelerate progression through the Health Innovation Cycle – from proof of feasibility to initial clinical validation.
AICE – Validate is an exciting opportunity for innovators in Alberta’s digital health ecosystem, supporting a broad range of commercialization activities.
Applicants who participate in the program can expect the following outcomes:
- Accelerated progression along the commercialization pathway in multiple areas including Product-Market Fit, Business Readiness, Regulatory Compliance, and Product Development.
- Contribution to Alberta’s competitiveness in digital health.
Alberta Innovates will contribute up to $300,000 CAD to support approved projects over a maximum term of 24 months.
A minimum of 25% of total eligible Project Costs must be provided by the Applicant as cash or in-kind contributions.
1. Intake form
Start by reading the Program Guide, located under the Application Resources section below, and complete the Health Innovation Continuous Intake Form via our online application portal.
(Please note: You will need to create an account to access our online application portal. If you have any questions about the application process or concerns about your project’s eligibility, feel free to contact Alberta Innovates at any time. )
2. Pre-application meeting
We will meet with you to ensure program fit and provide support. Applicants who demonstrate appropriate readiness and meet basic eligibility requirements will be invited to apply.
Complete the Full Application via our online application portal. Full Applications are competitively reviewed in batches throughout the year. Upcoming application dates are noted below.
Additional Supports & Resources
- Accelerating Innovations into CarE (AICE) – Market Access Program – program that provides supports small-to-medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and real-world testing sites in carrying out implementation projects or clinical trials of innovative health technologies.
- Alberta Innovates Technology Development Advisors – provide front-line business coaching and technology development advice to small & medium size enterprises in technology or knowledge-based industries.
- Regional Innovation Networks – entrepreneur-centric, community-based networks with the goal of providing programs and services to accelerate growth of technology and knowledge-based businesses in Alberta jurisdictions.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) – provides evidence standards that enable innovators to determine what level of evidence may be required to facilitate adoption of digital health technologies.
- Alberta SPOR SUPPORT Unit (AbSPORU) – provides support for stakeholders in conducting patient-oriented research. AbSPORU bridges gaps between data, research evidence and healthcare practice.
- E-Learning Tool – Health Canada – resource intended to educate stakeholders on premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada.
- Alberta Clinical Research Roadmap – an interactive online navigator outlining the steps to setting up and conducting a clinical health research study within Alberta.
- ARECCI – helps practitioners, agencies and organizations identify and mitigate ethical risks in program evaluations, quality improvement projects, needs assessments, health innovations and knowledge translation.
- Alberta Innovates, Entrepreneurial Investments – Alberta Innovates offers a variety of related high-demand, entrepreneurial investment programs that are of interest to SMEs.