Notification of changes to the Graduate Student Scholarships program
We’re enhancing the Graduate Student Scholarships program with the goal to improve provincial outcomes in the areas of emerging technologies.
We want to continue to support the development of talent amongst Alberta’s graduate student population as they transition to the workforce in areas aligned with emerging technologies identified as being strategically important for the province.
The change in focus areas will only apply to future competitions. As such, any students currently holding a graduate student scholarship up to and including the 20/21 awardees, will not be impacted by these changes. The guidelines in place for the year a student was awarded the GSS continue to apply.
Learn more about the emerging technology areas.
Please continue to monitor this webpage for updates to the program.
Developing Alberta’s next generation
The growth of Alberta’s economy depends on the development of new and emerging technologies, which have applications in sectors such as agriculture, health, oil and gas, and many others. This research depends heavily on the work of highly skilled graduate students studying at universities around the province.
Alberta Innovates funds scholarships for graduate students conducting full-time research in key emerging technology area of information and communications technology (ICT) and advanced materials and manufacturing technologies (AMM) ensuring that Albertan universities and companies are able to recruit top talent.
How the program works
- The Graduate Student Scholarships program supports academically superior graduate students who are receiving training and conducting research in areas that are strategically important to Alberta’s economy.
- Graduate students (masters or doctoral level) undertaking full-time research at the University of Alberta, University of Calgary, or University of Lethbridge are eligible for Graduate Student Scholarships .
- This program is specifically targeted at the following emerging technology areas:
- information and communications technologies, and advanced materials and manufacturing technologies in and of themselves or which additionally support the innovation priority areas of environment, energy, agriculture, manufacturing, and health.
- The program helps to develop both new knowledge and the next generation workforce to support Alberta’s economic future.
- The competition and individual student scholarships are administered, adjudicated, and managed at partner universities with oversight, and guidance provided by Alberta Innovates.
Eligibility and requirements
- This funding is open to Canadian, permanent resident and international students pursuing graduate studies at an Alberta university in one of the three eligible research areas (ICT, nanotechnology, or omics).
- Scholarship terms vary from one to four years, depending on the circumstances of the applicant.
- Scholarship requirements and conditions at the start date of the award continue through the term of the scholarship.
- Students who have been awarded an Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarship must complete annual and final reports through the term of their award and post-award reports after the end of the award.
- Multi-year scholarships are renewed annually after the first year upon satisfactory reporting by the student.
How to apply
- Each of the participating Alberta universities has scholarship application and evaluation processes specific to their institutions for students in programs of full time study.
- Applicants should check with the faculty of graduate studies at their home university for full descriptions and application details for the Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarship.
- All applications should be made to the appropriate university and not to Alberta Innovates directly.
Prospective applicants must be familiar with program documentation prior to applying:
- 2021/22 Graduate Student Scholarships program guide (updated July 2021)