Micro vouchers provide funding for high potential, high growth, technology or knowledge-based Alberta small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to accelerate their new product technology development.
The Micro Voucher Program encourages high potential, high growth SMEs with novel, promising technologies, strong management and a reasonably identified product/market fit to accelerate new product commercialization. The purpose is quick access to funds to de-risk technological solutions, and support emerging technologies.
Typical applicants are in the earlier stages of their product development. Most clients enter our programs by starting with a micro voucher.
Eligible applicants can apply for up to $10,000, paid directly to the service provider, to cover eligible expenses charged by the service provider for the purpose of one or more of the following activities:
- New product research and development;
- Design, engineering and prototype development;
- Product testing and refinement;
- Patent development; (excluding patent maintenance fees)
- Advanced market assessment or segmentation analysis;
- Advanced business and/or marketing strategies; and/or
- Other technology development activities that will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note: the applicant pays a minimum 25 percent cash contribution of the total eligible project costs.
How the program works
This program is an open-call format. Apply now.
Are you interested in submitting a new application?
- We’ve launched a new grant management system, please read the announcement to see how this impacts new and existing applications and applicants. Contact your Program Associate if you have questions.
- Familiarize yourself with the program documents below.
- Connect with a Technology Development Advisor.
- Access applicant portal to submit your application online.
- Any questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 403-210-5229.
Are you currently working on an existing application?
Applications started in our existing grants management systems prior to April 14, 2020 will continue to be managed through the system in which the application was received, meaning the benefits listed above do not apply.
Entrepreneurial Investments Program Metrics
Learn more about how we measure progress with the Technology Commercialization Scorecard.
- Micro voucher program guide
- Micro voucher reporting & payment schedule
- Micro voucher agreement template
- Micro voucher final report form
Related programs and services
The Micro Voucher Program is part of a suite of small business and entrepreneur funding programs focused on the commercialization of new product development and technology solutions. Other related programs and services are:
- r&D Associate
- Commercialization Associate
- Product Demonstration
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.