Grants to hire service providers
Micro vouchers provide funding for high potential, high growth, technology or knowledge-based Alberta small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to accelerate their new product technology development.
The Micro Voucher Program encourages high potential, high growth SMEs with novel, promising technologies, strong management and a reasonably identified product/market fit to accelerate new product commercialization. The purpose is quick access to funds to de-risk technological solutions, and support emerging technologies.
Typical applicants are in the earlier stages of their product development. Most clients enter our programs by starting with a micro voucher.
Eligible applicants can apply for up to $10,000, paid directly to the service provider, to cover eligible expenses charged by the service provider for the purpose of one or more of the following activities:
- New product research and development;
- Design, engineering and prototype development;
- Product testing and refinement;
- Patent development; (excluding patent maintenance fees)
- Advanced market assessment or segmentation analysis;
- Advanced business and/or marketing strategies; and/or
- Other technology development activities that will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note: the applicant pays a minimum 25 percent cash contribution of the total eligible project costs.
How the program works
This program is an open-call format. Apply now.
- Familiarize yourself with the program resources below.
- Contact a Technology Development Advisor. Connect now.
- Send your completed application through our online Applicant Portal
Entrepreneurial Investments Program Metrics
Learn more about how we measure progress with the Technology Commercialization Scorecard.
- Micro voucher program guide
- Micro voucher application aid
- Micro voucher reporting & payment schedule
- Micro voucher agreement template
- Micro voucher final report form
- Micro voucher program guide – PRE-January 31, 2019
Related programs and services
The Micro Voucher Program is part of a suite of small business and entrepreneur funding programs focused on the commercialization of new product development and technology solutions. Other related programs and services are:
- r&D Associate
- Commercialization Associate
- Product Demonstration
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.