Accelerating innovations to commercialization
The Product Demonstration Program is designed to de-risk the commercialization process by providing funds and coaching to high potential, high growth technology Alberta small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to commercialize their products and achieve an optimal market position to increase revenue and potentially expand into global markets.
Piloting or demonstrating new products with a “strategic partner” who could be the first buyer or influential client(s) is critical in the commercialization and scale-up pathway.
Qualified SMEs may be eligible for up to $150,000 in funding over a maximum one-year term.
The program is a good fit for SMEs that:
- have a product(s) that no longer require refinement to the core technology (product is ready to pilot in an operational setting to verify product value and reduce its uncertainty).
- have a product(s) that are looking to expand sales or broaden market segments (product is ready for demonstration in an operational environment and may need to extend product core technology and/or capability);
- need to identify a potential strategic partner at Expression of Interest, and need a signed Letter of Intent from the strategic partner(s) at full proposal;
- can complete the pilot or demonstration within one year;
- can reasonably expect a first sale or distribution agreement within 18 months if the pilot is successful, and
- can reasonably expect expanded sales or distribution agreements if the demonstration is successful within 18 months.
Full program and application details can be found in the program guide under program resources below.
How the program works
This program is an open-call format.
Applying to this program involves the following steps:
- The support of a Technology Development Advisor.
- Technology Development Advisors provide guidance, coaching and can assess the applicant’s Product Demonstration Program readiness. They can recommend suitable alternative Alberta Innovates funding programs, and help direct the applicant to external funding opportunities. Connect with a Technology Development Advisor now!
- A signed strategic partner letter of interest from a senior manager level with the application.
- Access our applicant portal to submit your application online.
Program documents for applications
- Product Demonstration program guide
- Investment agreement template
- Application aid
- Strategic partner letter of interest template
- Product Demonstration Program progress report
- Product Demonstration Program applicant information slide deck
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs
- r&D Associate
- Commercialization Associate
- Search other programs
- Connectica, a database to help connect Alberta’s innovative technology entrepreneurs to publicly funded or not-for-profit services, funding and facilities.
To connect with the innovation ecosystem and technology entrepreneur supports in your region, check out the Regional Innovation Networks.