Program update: As of April 1, 2022, service providers will no longer be required to sign on investment agreements. Alberta Innovates will fund successful applicants directly. Service providers are still required for this program and must be identified in your application.
Preparing to export to global markets
We are now accepting new applications for the Export Readiness – Micro Voucher.
Through this program we support Alberta SMEs, can apply for up to $20,000 to build and develop a strategic approach to expanding their international plans and building global export opportunities.
Prior to entering new global markets it’s important to understand the necessary steps to grow export markets while evaluating benefits and assessing risks are keys to success.
Alberta SMEs need to ask some basic questions, for example:
- What country do I want to export to?
- What is my competitive advantage in that country?
- How do I set up my distribution channels?
- What is my pricing model?
- How do I avoid risks?
- What is the trade, tariffs and even regulatory requirements?
- What is the cost to entering global market?
- All applicants must contribute 25 percent of eligible project costs and their companies have a minimum of $20,000 in revenue.
Support to hire a service provider
The focus of the program is to fund an Alberta SME (applicant – you) to hire a qualified service provider that will help you build a strategic approach to entering global markets. You may be eligible for up to $20,000.
You must work directly with the service provider you’ve identified in your application to define the scope of work to expand export activities. This can include:
- A market entry strategy or export plan;
- An international marketing plan;
- Export pricing strategy;
- Research on export markets for product;
- Distribution and logistic;
- Help to find a broker or distributor, including international distribution channels;
- Business services and advice;
- Accountancy (taxes, receivables etc.)
- Legal (contract support, patent protection)
- Tariff, certification requirements, regulations and insurance advice;
- E-business or online strategy (may include online international plan, sales or online security advice);
- Translation support (translate user manuals, product guides, labeling etc.).
You can apply for funding for the development of export related activities in multiple countries; all applicants, however, are limited to two investment awards.
How the program works
New applications are now being accepted for the Export Readiness Micro-Voucher.
This program is an open-call format. Are you interested in submitting a new application? Apply now by following the setps outlined below!
- Familiarize yourself with the program resources below.
- Connect with a Technology Development Advisor. Connect with a TDA now!
- Send your completed application through our online applicant portal.
- Any questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-210-5229.
This program is set to end on May 1, 2023 or when all funds are disbursed.
- Export Readiness Micro-Voucher program guide
- Export Readiness Micro-Voucher agreement
- Export Readiness Micro-Voucher final report
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs:
- Micro voucher
- R&D Associate
- Commercialization Associate
- Product Demonstration
- Search other programs
The impact of Alberta Innovates’ programming for 2021