Preparing to export to global markets
Through this program we support Alberta SMEs, with a minimum of $20,000 in revenue, to build and develop a strategic approach to expanding their international plans and building global export opportunities.
Prior to entering new global markets it’s important to understand the necessary steps to grow export markets while evaluating benefits and assessing risks are keys to success.
Alberta SMEs need to ask some basic questions, for example:
- What country do I want to export to?
- What is my competitive advantage in that country?
- How do I set up my distribution channels?
- What is my pricing model?
- How do I avoid risks?
- What is the trade, tariffs and even regulatory requirements?
- What is the cost to entering global market?
Support to hire a service provider
The focus of the program is to fund an Alberta SME (applicant – you) to hire a qualified service provider that will help you build a strategic approach to entering global markets. You may be eligible for up to $20,000, which is paid directly to one service provider named in the application.
If successful, you must work directly with the service provider you’ve identified in your application to define the scope of work to expand export activities. This can include:
- A market entry strategy or export plan;
- An international marketing plan;
- Export pricing strategy;
- Research on export markets for product;
- Distribution and logistic;
- Help to find a broker or distributor, including international distribution channels;
- Business services and advice
- Accountancy (taxes, receivables etc.)
- Legal (contract support, patent protection)
- Tariff, certification requirements, regulations and insurance advice;
- E-business or online strategy (may include online international plan, sales or online security advice);
- Translation support (translate user manuals, product guides, labeling etc.).
You can apply for funding for the development of export related activities in multiple countries; however all applicants are limited to two investment awards. All applicants must contribute 25 percent of eligible project costs and their companies have a minimum of $20,000 in revenue.
How the program works
This program is open call. Apply now!
- Familiarize yourself with the program resources below.
- Send your completed application through our online Applicant Portal.
All projects must be completed on or before March 17, 2021.
Other Alberta Innovates grants designed to support Alberta SMEs: