Alberta Innovates’ Graduate Studentships combine research training stipends with mentorship and career development allowances to better position emerging talent for high-impact careers in Alberta’s health research and innovation (R&I) ecosystem.
The stipend component of the Graduate Studentship is intended to help attract top-tier Trainees to post-secondary institutions in Alberta, while protecting time for full immersion in the research training environment. Yet careers in R&I also involve considerable uncertainty and serendipity. Cultivating networks beyond one’s immediate field of study and complementing research skills with other professional competencies are key strategies for resiliency and success. Alberta Innovates also offers Graduate Studentship holder’s annual allowances to implement broader career development plans. These plans must include engagement with mentors outside of one’s research supervisory committee that can provide advice, learning opportunities, and connections in the health R&I ecosystem (see application instructions for more details).
The total funding available for this competition is dependent on budget approval by the Government of Alberta (anticipated to be late Fall 2019).
How the program works
$30,000 per year research training stipend and a career development allowance ($2,000 annually) for a maximum of 36 months across all graduate training. A maximum of twelve months of support is available towards a Master’s degree.
- Increase the competitiveness of Alberta as a training destination for top-tier talent;
- Complement traditional scholarly training with the development of professional competencies and networks that will help Trainees identify and secure relevant opportunities in the health R&I ecosystem;
- Increase connections between Trainees, experienced professionals, and receptor organizations in the Province.
Who can apply?
Graduate Studentships are open to individuals who:
- Are currently enrolled in a graduate program at a post-secondary institution in Alberta.
- Will have completed at least one year of graduate training at the time of award implementation.
Key Documents & Forms
- Program guide
- Application form (apply online through the application portal)
- Application instructions
- Biographic sketch information form
- Mentorship information form
Results & Announcements
2019/2020 announcement (anticipated in early 2020)